If you have new braces, you’ve probably already been told oral care will be a little more difficult now.
There are lots of tiny spaces in your braces which will trap food. That trapped food can cause plaque which can lead to a number of dental problems.
Because braces pose this risk, it’s important to make sure to keep up with your oral care routine.
Here are a few ways those with braces can improve their oral health:
- First, it’s important to stick to the basics! Make sure you brush and floss daily. Since you have braces now, it is important to be extra careful when you clean your teeth—and your braces, in order to get rid of all that trapped food.
- When you get ready to brush your teeth, make sure to take off the elastics and any other parts of your orthodontic appliance which can be removed.
- As you clean your braces, make sure to hold your brush at a 45-degree angle. This will ensure you’re able to clean around all of the wires and pins in your braces. Brush from the top down, cleaning each wire. Don’t rush, brush slowly, this will help you remove all of the food particles and plaque.
- Try to clean each tooth individually and brush every tooth surface.
- We all know flossing is important, so don’t skip it. Your dentist or orthodontist can show you the best way to floss with braces, or you can look for a flossing product that is specifically designed for braces and follow the directions on the package.
- When you rinse your teeth, rinse thoroughly with a mouth rinse to help get rid of any remaining particles.
- Check your teeth and braces in the mirror to make sure they are clean!
- Finally, make sure to go to all of your dentist and orthodontist appointments! Keep up with your oral care by checking in regularly with your dental care professional. He or she will be able to take a look at your teeth and let you know you’re doing everything correctly, or if there are any improvements which can be made.
Braces improve our smiles, correct overcrowding or misaligned teeth, and they improve our self-confidence! Do your part in keeping your teeth healthy by following these tips and you’ll be smiling for years to come! Taking good care of your teeth, and your braces are all part of maintaining good oral health