Hurray! Summer is here, and with it comes a more relaxed lifestyle.
- Schedule checkups as needed, planning ahead to work around vacations and special activities to assure maintaining progress.
- Adhere to a regular brushing and flossing routine, even though you may sleep later in the mornings and stay up later at night. Make it a goal to perform these daily routines as often as you did during the school year, shifting time frames but not frequency.
- Continue to practice good brushing techniques as your orthodontist has instructed; don’t shortchange the routine. Your mouth will thank you later!
- Avoid the temptation to consume too many sugary foods and drinks. As easy as it is to enjoy more treats in the summer, limiting these cavity contributors just as you should do during the school year will help prevent unwelcome cavities.
- Early in the season, create a bag containing necessary supplies — toothbrush, toothpaste, floss or orthodontic wax as well as anything else needed for an emergency — so you can grab it and go whenever an activity or overnight trip takes you away from home.
- If you plan to travel, ask your orthodontist for a reference or do online research to provide names of potential caregivers at your destination in case of unexpected emergencies.
Routines, in general, are not as strict as during the school year, but that doesn’t mean caring for braces should take a vacation.
THE FOLLOWING REMINDERS CAN HELP KEEP YOU STAY ON TARGET FOR THE GOALS SET BY YOU AND YOUR ORTHODONTIST SO THAT SUMMER DOESN’T DELAY YOUR QUEST FOR A HEALTHY MOUTH AND WONDERFUL SMILE.
Any annoyances you experience focusing on good practices during your summer vacation time will seem small in comparison to the reward of an amazing smile on braces removal day! As always, feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns.