Getting braces is a very common procedure these days! Make sure you’re prepared with these easy steps!
Getting braces is a very common procedure these days, but there are still some steps that you will need to take in order to be prepared for their placement. Here are the things you’ll need to do to get ready for your new braces:
- A dental examination to make sure that any decay or problems with your gums are treated properly before placement is a necessity.
- Next you’ll need to meet with an orthodontist to discuss the kind of braces that will be most beneficial for you.
- Your next visit to the orthodontist should include x-rays, photos and plaster impressions of your teeth. Sometimes an extraction may be necessary when teeth are too crowded.
- Small plastic separators will be placed between your molars and left for a week.
- Separators will be removed and replaced by molar bands, which will be cemented in. Then your brackets will be affixed to your teeth with bonding glue. Next, an archwire will be placed through your brackets and secured with elastic bands. Typically this process will take 1 to 2 hours.
- The placement process doesn’t hurt, but expect your teeth to feel sore for about a week. This soreness can be treated with acetaminophen or ibuprofen. For brackets that irritate the inside of your mouth, orthodontic wax can be placed in problem areas
- Adjustments will be made to your braces every 4 to 8 weeks using accessories like elastics, springs or other additional treatments.
- If you follow your treatment as directed while your braces are in place, when it’s time to remove them you’ll be replacing them with the smile you’ve always wanted.
If you have any further questions about how to prepare for getting your braces placed, feel free to contact us!