Here’s what you need to know about getting braces as an adult.
Were you supposed to have braces when you were younger, but you weren’t able to get them? Now that you’re older, you might be thinking about getting braces to correct an overbite or straighten your teeth. Here’s what you need to know:
First, you need to find an orthodontist you’re comfortable with, especially since you’ll be seeing him or her for one to three years during your treatment.
Next, you’ll choose the type of braces that are right for you. Your options include:
- Regular metal braces: Brackets are glued to your teeth and wires connect them. As the wires are tightened every four to six weeks, your teeth or jaw move into the correct position.
- Ceramic braces: These braces are transparent, so they’re not as noticeable as regular braces. However, they are not as durable as metal braces.
- Clear aligners (Invisalign): Made of plastic, the aligners are removable so you can take them out when eating and brushing or flossing. Every two weeks, you’ll get a new aligner to move your teeth.
You’ll also need to:
- Have regular checkups with your orthodontist, perhaps as often as every four to six weeks.
- Be careful about what you eat and especially avoid sticky or hard food.
- Floss and brush your teeth diligently since hygiene is more of a challenge with braces.
After finishing your treatment, it’s important to keep up your dental hygiene since even if you have straight teeth you can still have dental problems like periodontal disease.
Are You Ready to Get Braces?
If you live in the Alexandria area, Perfect Smiles Orthodontics specializes in treating adults and offers options including braces and Invisalign aligners. To make an appointment, visit their website today.